Everyone agrees: Plastics do not belong in our oceans.
In fact, no litter, regardless of the material, should be in our oceans.
What if there were a way to help clean up our oceans while also giving used plastics another life? Well… some consumer product companies, and their eco-minded customers, have found one way.
Some of the plastic litter removed from our oceans today is being used to make valuable new products. So, similar to recycling our plastic milk jugs, yogurt containers, and grocery bags, these littered plastics can get a second chance, reducing environmental impact and helping save resources. Ocean plastics can be recycled to make everything from clothing to furniture to sunglasses—they’re a resource that’s just too valuable to waste (which is another reason they shouldn’t be littering our oceans).
Products Made Using Plastics Recovered From The Ocean
- A company has developed sunglasses made with recovered ocean plastics, particularly high-density polyethylene (HDPE) used to make plastic milk jugs, laundry detergent bottles, and shopping bags. For every product they sell, the company commits to clean up one pound of plastics from the ocean.
- A cosmetics company has partnered up with Ocean Legacy, an organization that collects plastic litter from the Pacific Ocean, to make bottles and pots for its products. The company even rewards its customers for recycling—when they return five clean and empty pots to a store, they get a free face mask.
- A popular trend-setting apparel company released a line of clothing “made in sustainable materials that you want to wear for seasons to come,” including plastics recovered from oceans, according to the company. Featuring special pieces such as elegant evening gowns, the collection demonstrates that sustainability is always in style for any occasion.
- Another major apparel maker has partnered with the ocean conservation group Parley for the Oceans to create a range of products, from swimwear to running shoes, made with plastic litter recovered from oceans and beaches. The company vowed to create a minimum of one million pairs of the shoes made from these plastics by the end of 2017.
- A company that makes yarn using recycled ocean plastics collaborates with many well known fashion brands. Its yarn is being woven into innovative fashion pieces and also is used for luggage, furniture, car parts, maritime applications… even art.
These are just a few examples of companies and products that are giving plastics recovered from our oceans another life. Eco-minded individuals get innovative, useful sunglasses, clothing, shoes, and more… and we all get a cleaner environment for future generations.
Of course, we’re all better off preventing litter and keeping trash out of the oceans in the first place. So, please remember: Let’s all do our part to keep plastic litter out of our oceans.
(To see what plastics makers are doing to help, visit http://www.marinelittersolutions.org.)