Check out one of our favorite recipes from Aspen Food & Wine: mini fruit tarts with lemon curd, berries and white chocolate créme.
Sweet Pastry Crust
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ lb. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Cream sugar and butter in mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs gradually until just mixed.
- Add flour and salt all at once and mix until forms ball.
- Flatten and cover dough completely in plastic wrap, refrigerate for one half hour.
- Roll out to desired thickness and press into tart forms.
- Trim edges and pierce dough with fork or pick to prevent rising. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown.
- 6 large eggs
- 1½ cups granulated white
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ lb. unsalted butter cut into small pieces at room temp.
- 1 tbl. lemon zest
- In a stainless steel bowl placed over a sauce pan of simmering water, whisk together the eggs, sugar and lemon juice until blended.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mixture has the desired consistency or thickness.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine strainer.
- Add the butter, whisking it in until the butter is incorporated.
- Add the zest and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to fill tart shells.
Fresh Berries of Choice
Strawberries (cut in quarters), whole blueberries, raspberries or blackberries to garnish tarts.
White Chocolate Crème
- ½ lb. good quality white chocolate
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Melt white chocolate in a double boiler to avoid over-heating, and remove from heat once melted completely.
- Allow chocolate to cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream with sugar and vanilla to form soft peaks.
- Slowly add room temperature white chocolate to cream mixture and whip to form stiff peaks.
- Put into piping bag and garnish tarts.