Makes 5 cups
- 1 pineapple, sliced into large pieces for grilling
- 8 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 limes—one for use in the salsa, one for presentation
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp. chopped red onions
- 3 tbsp. chopped unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp. lime zest
- sea salt, to taste
- Prepare your grill for direct cooking for medium heat (350 degrees), and coat your grill grates with canola oil so your pineapple slices do not stick.
- Slice your two limes in half.
- Put your pineapple slices, limes (citrus facing down on the grill), and jalapeño on the grill.
- Grill for about four to six minutes, or until char marks have formed on both sides.
- Combine black beans, onion, cilantro, and coconut in a mixing bowl.
- Once the pineapple and jalapeño have cooled, chop the pineapple into small pieces and add to the mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the jalapeño (including seeds) and add to the mixture.
- Mix all ingredients together, place into a serving bowl, and garnish with lime.
Helpful Tools and Tips
- Use a silicone plastic grill brush to apply the canola oil to your grill grates. Silicone is a heat-resistant, nonstick plastic that’s extremely easy to clean—so grilling tools made with silicone make game day food prep quicker and easier.
- For cutting and chopping foods in your kitchen, try a cutting board made with plastics because they are nonporous. Just pop them in the dishwasher to clean thoroughly. And now you can look online to purchase plastic cutting boards and other stylish kitchenware made with recycled materials. It’s great to know you’re doing something good for the environment when you’re preparing meals for family and friends.
- When grilling your pineapple, limes, and jalapeño, try using barbecue tongs with a silicone plastic handle. The silicone will not only protect your hands from the heat of the grill, but the surface texture of the plastic will help give you a good grip.
- Game Day Recipe ChallengeView the Rest
This salsa is just one of many recipes in our Game Day Challenge.